Thursday, October 25, 2012

Murder!!! week 9

       When the ghost of King Hamlet comes to tell his son how he was murdered he said, " 'Tis given out that, sleeping in my orchard, a serpent stung me. So the whole ear of Denmark is by a forgèd process of my death rankly abused. But know, thou noble youth, the serpent that did sting thy father’s life now wears his crown."  I think that this statement holds many meanings.
       When he say's this, he lets his son, Hamlet know that he died by poison and Hamlets' uncle is the real murderer.  This is very important as it makes Hamlets' wrath burn with fury.  Not only did his uncle murder a person, it was his own brother and he lied about it to the whole state of Denmark.
     In saying all of this he also calls his brother a snake.  "...the serpent that did sting thy father’s life..."  During the play, there are many references to the scripture, so Hamlet would know that the serpant represents Satan.  This would also show how truly evil the uncle is and it would also fool Hamlet into thinking that there are indeed grounds for revenge. 
   
       The ghost describes his death by saying that his blood grew thick throughout his veins, he broke out in a scaly rash and that he 'slept' at the hands of his brother. 
     I think that this is significant because it makes Hamlet understand how truly terrifying his fathers' death was.  It shifted Hamlet from-half way to fully committed to revenge.  I think that the ghost planned it this way just in case there was any doubt at all in Hamlets' mind about killing his uncle.
      The description also paints a picture in your mind that does not leave you easily.  I can still remember exactly how the King died even though I wish it to go away.  This was also carefully planned out by the ghost, in my opinion.  If Hamlet ever hesitated, the image would play over and over until it made him so angry that he lost his self-control.

3 comments:

  1. good job using quotes to back-up what you said!

    E;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I agree with what Elsie said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. All-encompasing and chalk-full of details! To put it simply, AMAZING POST!

    -McKinley

    ReplyDelete